Friday, April 20, 2012

USA: 20th April 2012

DSC_2674.jpga DSC_2608.jpga Where do I start? It's been an awesome trip so far. Everything has gone wonderfully. We LOVE it here! It's strange how homey the US feels. Europe felt foreign and even England too but the US...ahhh...I wanted to dislike it but can't.

The weather today was awesome. We drove north to Point Reyes for freshly shucked oysters at Drakes Oyster Farm. It was a mad drive on snakey Highway 1 to get to the farm before it closed at 4:30 pm. We had spent too much time taking photos of the Golden Gate Bridge. The sky was blue and there was no fog; just perfect if not a little bit too glaring because the sun at 2 to 3 pm was high up in the sky. We raced down the dirt road and nearly slammed into the oyster shack, the clock reading 4:23 pm. However, Yi got sick and threw up so she couldn't eat (but did manage to swallow two oysters later). CY, my uni roomie, was such a sweetheart to drive us more than 2 hours up just for a dozen oysters! On the way back we had more oysters and clams at a restaurant n the food was SO GOOD. It was a rush back to the city again because Yi had a dinner. She's having such a great time I don't know if she can settle down when she goes back to work.

A few days ago, we were so thrilled to be shown around Pixar. We were allowed to take photos of most of the office buildings and grounds but were told not to post photos taken inside the buildings. I wish I can show you where the animation is done and other cool stuff. I saw this glass case of Oscar statues and other awards and realized that that was the closest I will ever get to a real OScar statue. We went crazy buying caps and t shirts and Pixar stuff, all of which are not sold outside.

I need to snooze. Am not familiar with the laptop and certain programs so it takes too long to upload photos. Hub just arrived back to KK and I bet he wishes he's here. Yi goes to LA tomorrow and I stay put in SF because LA is last on my list of cities to visit. Been there twice and just didn't like it although Santa Barbara and some small towns on the way down are very nice. Yi and I meet up in New York next week.

20 comments:

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Fun! (except for the throwing up part)

I love fresh oysters.

Michelle Chin said...

It's very difficult to hate the states. it somehows grow onto you.

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I'm from KK too but have been following your blog on and off for a long time and I live overseas.

I love the States too (except for LA). I avoid LA like the plague. I'm unafraid of anything really but for the first time in my life, I actually shivered with fear when I entered LA's Chinatown. It is unlike any Chinatown I ever visited in the world (and I've travelled extensively). It was evening but it was dark, desserted and street people light bonfires randomly on roads. And it looks like a ghetto to me. Not even the city of LA fascinates me. Too many thugs!

As for San Francisco, it is a sheer joy and such a beautiful, classy city to visit. You should try cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge and into Sausalito :)

Enjoy your stay in the States :)

*Twinkle in the eye*

The Real Mother Hen said...

Wonderful!!! Continue to have fun and enjoy every minute of it :)

Terri said...

Nate: me too but i wish i ate more. I was afraid of poisoning altho i know if the oyster's bad, one is enough to cause havoc. Yes ago, we ate raw oysters in San Diego n u can imagine, hving the runs when on holidays is awful!
Michelle: it's a decadent country. It satiates all the human desires for everything.
Twinkle: tt's terrifying! It sounds more like NYC in the 80s! But yeah, it's not a pleasant city n other than the Hollywood stuff n the diff atmosphere, there's nothing i like there. Except maybe the Guggenheim. Dang, i won't be seeing tt...
Mother hen: i am, i am! N u know what, strangely enough, i am beginnng to loose the weigh i put on after comin here bc i've seen beyond the big slabsof meat n portions n now longing for veggiesn home cooked meals. Love the freshness n choices here tho. It's so decadent, absolutely land of milk n honey!

Mandy said...

when exactly will you be in NYC Terri? I am working here now!! drop me an email ok? would love to catch up if time allows. :)

Terri said...

Arr 24th leave 3rd. Hope to do Boston, Connticut. Will give u my local no. Yes! Meet up!

Anonymous said...

Hope to read more about your USA holiday.

Your silent reader, rita

Anonymous said...

Hey Terri,

Since you're still here in the Bay Area, you should hit up In & Out Burgers, even Anthony Bourdain agrees their burgers are delish! Hope you're enjoying our beautiful warm April weather this weekend!

bekah

RUNNING BROOK said...

Hi Terri

I've been checking in to see what the both of you have been up to. So I was delighted to see a post from the USA. I am sooooo looking forward to reading about your escapes there.
Hurry up and post more!
Tell Yi I said she's so lucky. :P

Terri said...

Rita: hard to post on an ipad:( but yes, i've lots of travel tales!
Bekah: we had in &out burgers in gilroy n it was GOOD but goodness, it must be 2000 cal each, n all those free refill fizzy drinks are killing the americans! Love the weather!!!!
Brook: aiya, i want to but we come home late every night n i find the ipad hard to work on. Patience, my dear, bc i hv lots to post!

Chocolate Cookies & Candies said...

Sounds like both of you are having an incredible time. Can't wait to hear more about your trip. As for LA, I couldn't agree more. The place scared the living daylights out of me.

Shan said...

Hi Terri so pleased you're in the States. Can't WAIT to see your food postings. Have fun!

Laura said...

Hi Terri!
I hope you and Yi are fine! ..you seem really happy in the pictures!

I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!!:)
http://laubao.wordpress.com/2012/04/24/versatile-blogger-award/

Yan said...

hi Terri,

How can you do the Pixar tour? we are going to SF in july too.

terri@adailyobsession said...

Ccc: yes absolutely loving it! New york rocks,

Shan: heard the horrible news. Incomprehensible.

Laura: by special invitation only. They don't open to the public...

JoinMe.com.my said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dear Terri,

Hello from Tokyo.

How are u? Trust that you are all fine. Are you back home already? Looking forward to hear from you again.

Just now, when we switch on the Japanese TV, we saw Hong Yi on it!! They showed her painting using the basketball, coffee cup and sunflower seeds. What a surprise...seeing someone we know on the Japanese TV.

May she continue to use her talent and be famous....

Tina U

Terri @ A Daily Obsession said...

hi tina! tt's...awesome! of all the times, you happened to be watching tv when she was on!

pay per head said...

Its so interesting article..Thanks for sharing..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...