Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Potato Galettes

P1330291-1
Potato galette

So I came home late after painting the town red and there was nothing prepared for dinner because my mobile phone was dead and I couldn't call my helper. Plan B was out because Wey didn't want bak kut teh and hubby as usual didn't want 'outside food'. Short of cooking instant noodles for dinner (haven't done that yet; Plan C), the fastest meal was western, or pseudo-western.

So I rushed to the best roasted pork stall in town (Merdeka Supermarket) and grabbed some slices of roasted pork and some salad greens (very limited choices here). Potatoes looked like a good change from rice and bread but I just did crashed hot potatoes 2 weeks ago so I sliced the spuds (and my thumb) and made these potato galettes which my son said were better than the pork. I rest my case.

P1330286
Potato Galettes (serves 4-5)
5 potatoes (any type)
1/3 cup (or more) melted butter
salt & freshly ground pepper

1. Oven at 220 C.

2. Peel the potatoes and use a mandoline to cut them into thin slices. Grab 4 to 5 slices and swosh them through the melted butter to coat. Shake off access butter and arrange the potato slices, overlapping in a tight circle, on a baking tray covered with aluminium foil. You'll need two trays.

3. Sprinkle some salt over and grind some pepper too, pop the trays into the oven and let the taters cook 20 minutes. Turn on the turbo fan and let cook another 5 minutes or more until the edges of the taters crisp and brown. Serve hot.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love potatoes however way its cooked so thatnks for that. Will surely try it out when I do my roast lamb this sunday. BTW, sorry for being kampung but whats a mandoline???need to know so that the slices are uniform and pretty like yours

Anonymous said...

Oh wow terri, you never fail to surprise me with your repertoire of recipes and stories!

gerrie said...

So pretty, I like!!! My kids will love these, and I am not sure how many spuds I'll have to put through my Benriner (which I seldom use, but was one of those must-have punya gadget!!)! Will definitely try this..thanks!

gerrie said...

By the way, I have Mr Tan's (merdeka roast meats) number, if you want! :)

Terri said...

Potatoes are my comfort food. These are beautiful! You are so darn clever.

Unknown said...

they are beautiful and I am sure absolutely great to eat..i havent seen potatoes done this way, but I am sure my kids will love them. Happy holidays.

NEE said...

i think greg will love this. he is a potato man. he never worries about rice crisis.

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

First of all, the galettes are beautiful, quickly put together and I know, they tasted great. Very clever girl you are. I am enjoying your blog.

TripleJin said...

These looks so beautiful! I am attempting to do it right now...

I have to say, they are slippery lil buggers! And not aesthetically pleasing..but luckily, kids aren't fussy when it comes to taters.

wmw said...

They are so lovely...and delectable too! I love potatoes...

terri@adailyobsession said...

anon: a mandoline is a slicer, u know, the slicer for cucumbers, radish so on

anon: i hope u continue to be surprised...

gerrie: wah! i had to google tt, the benriner. serious machine tt.

i have mr tan's no, thnx:) i was taken aback the other day when i complained tt he was cutting a piece of roasted pork tt was too fat for me. he took a small piece and opped it into his mouth, said "it's excellent!" and went on to cut the meat for me. i'm like 'H1N1, n he's putting food into his mouth and now touching my order'!

terri: I'm taking a bow:)

mkate: u must be upto ur eyeballs in food by now! happy raya!

nee: rice crisis:D

susan: i enjoyed reading all ur posts, n montana is the place to be. wow, i say!

triplejin: how did it go?

wmw: welcome home girl.

TeaLady said...

Alwasys looking for new tater recipes. This one looks wonderful.

If you want the corn bread recipe just e me at travelingteapot (at)hotmail (Dot) com and I will scan and send it to you. It is long and drawn out, but very worth it.

S and O said...

How nice of you to share!
I've got a reputation at my house for being an awesome chef, especially when it comes to cooking potatoes (which along with apples are my specialty).
I can't wait to try this recipe out and see how it tastes!!! :)

Thanks again!

Olivia

gerrie said...

Alamak, which benriner did you see? Mine is that very simple one on the left (http://www.benriner.com/).

Re Mr Tan...*speechless*..he's lucky you didn't request him to wash his hands!!

TeaLady said...

made these 2nite. pretty tasty.

TRACE said...

oh potato!!!!!!
Terri, thanks for the recipe!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...